Monday, April 9, 2012

tuna, meet frank


After a non-stop day of eating yesterday (and thinking it was physically impossible to ever be hungry again) I awoke this morning still feeling full.  I knew a much needed trip to the gym was in my future so I forced a yogurt on myself and decided to get it out of the way.  I wasn't 5 steps out of the gym post workout when hunger consumed me.  I knew it was too good to last.  Wanting something healthy & light (and not covered in syrup or made with breakfast meats) I set my sights on a tuna sandwich.  Feeling like mayonnaise was on the heavy side of condiments to use after my aforementioned gorging I decided on one of my favorite ways to make a tuna sandwich: Frank's Red Hot!

I love spicy foods and any chance I have to add a little Frank's to the equation is good for me. In this case I like to use Frank's Thick since it has a little more body then its counterpart (plus it's milder so it won't make the sandwich overpoweringly hot) and will hold the fish together, similarly to mayo.  Another favorite addition to tuna is apples.  Strange, I know, but the sweet balances out the sandwich (with or without mayonnaise) nicely and gives a good crisp.  In this case it's a great sidekick for Frank.


Chop up some sweet red apples (I used Jazz apples...if you haven't heard of/tried these beauties I highly recommend it) and add it to the tuna with about 1 T (or to taste) of Frank's Red Hot Thick


I lightly toasted some rosemary & olive oil Italian bread and added a slice of lettuce and american cheese for good measure

Accompanied by some fresh strawberries and leftover apples slices this sandwich was light, refreshing and had just the right amount of sweet heat. If you're skeptical about having hot sauce with tuna I urge you to give it a shot.  If this doesn't sound like something for you at least try throwing in apples when you make it traditionally. You won't be disappointed!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio